Mercedes-Benz has launched India’s first ever long wheelbase (LWB) E-Class at an astonishing price of Rs 56.15 lakhs for the E 200 Petrol and Rs 69.47 lakhs for E 350 Diesel version, ex-showroom Delhi. Only one fully loaded version will be available with either of the fuel types.
The new E-Class has been the most talked about luxury car in recent times. And why not? India is the only RHD country in the world where this long E is being sold. Merc is assembling this at their Chakan (near Pune) plant and has upped the ante when it comes to providing the perfect luxury business sedan. The new E locks horns with the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series and the Jaguar XF. However, it ends up being a better all-rounder which means the new E is all set to become the largest selling Mercedes in India.
Before we go further, here is a look at some key points
- Over 34,000 E Class units in 20 years have been sold in India till date
- Codenamed W213, this is the 10th generation E Class
- This one has the same wheelbase as the normal S Class. In India, we only get the LWB S Class though
- The new E is 184 mm 184mm longer with a 205mm longer wheelbase. This gives it over 50% more leg room as compared to the outgoing version
- The E gets Air Body Suspension for the first time. Yes, you can lift this limo on the move
- For the first time, you are also being offered touch controls on the steering
- Want mood lightning? The E offers as many as 64 different colors for ambient lightning.
- There is also a touchbad with controller and a 360 degree view park assist.
- And finally, you can recline the rear seats and set your own settings into the memory
The new E does not look significantly different from the outgoing version. The extra length gives it a special touch and the new LED lamps on either side look great. The big change is on the inside in terms of extra comfort as well as features. What’s more, Mercedes is also offering a service pack at low rates. For the E200 you need to pay Rs 64,700 and for the E350, it stands at Rs 94,400. This takes care of regular maintenance costs for upto two years and unlimited kilometers.
Powering the new E are a set of two engines. The E200 gets a 184 bhp 1991 cc engine that has a claimed top speed of 240 km/h and a 0-100 run of just 8.5 seconds. The bigger E350 gets a 2987cc diesel motor with 258 bhp of power and 620 Nm of torque. These figures help it sprint from naught to hundred in just 6.6 seconds with a limited top whack of 250 km/h. However, the E is not about performance but pure luxury and panache.
Love the car? Here are more images for you to go through. Our road review will be online soon as well!